CORE PERFORMER COMPETITION
All regional Core Performer (Winners & Runners-Up) are equally eligible to compete to be the 2017 National Core Performer. Each dancer must prepare a solo, in any style of dance, under three minutes long. All Core Performer Finalists will also participate in an Audition Class, where they will learn a short Jazz & Ballet combo and perform it for the judging panel. Each Core Performer's Audition Class scores will be combined with their solo score to determine the TOP TEN Core Performers (male and female) in each age division. The TOP TEN will be announced at the beginning of the Core Performer Challenge.
During the Core Performer Challenge, the TOP TEN dancers (male and female) in each age division will be asked to improvise and/or learn another short Jazz & Ballet combo on the RADIX Stage for a live audience. Each Core Performer's Challenge score will then be combined with their solo score and Audition Class scores from earlier in the week. After the scores are combined, the Top 3 dancers will be announced and they will re-compete their solos right at the Core Performer Challenge. After the Top 3 perform their solos, the judging panel will then rank the dancers 1, 2, 3. The average of these rankings will determine the 2017 Core Performer Winners and remaining Runners-Up. The announcement of the Winners and Runners-Up will happen during The Radix Gala on June 29th.
All TOP TEN Core Performers (male and female) from each age division will be presented with an award onstage during the Gala on June 29th. The TOP 3 dancers from each age division will then be announced, followed immediately by the announcement of the 2017 Core Performer Winners and remaining Runners-Up. The Core Performer Winners (male and female) from each age division will then be asked to re-perform their solos later in the show.
Senior Core Performer Awards
- Core Performer Winner - $1000 each
- 1st Runner-Up - $500 each
- 2nd Runner-Up - $300 each
Teen Core Performer Awards
- Core Performer Winner - $750 each
- 1st Runner-Up - $350 each
- 2nd Runner-Up - $250 each
Junior Core Performer Awards
- Core Performer Winner - $500 each
- 1st Runner-Up - $250 each
- 2nd Runner-Up - $125 each
Mini Core Performer Awards
- Core Performer Winner - $350 each
- 1st Runner-Up - $200 each
- 2nd Runner-Up - $100 each
The one Female Core Performer and the one male Core Performer also receive:
- The opportunity to perform their solo as part of the 2017 Radix Gala!
- The opportunity to perform their solo at any closing show at a regional Radix city during the 2017-2018 season. (This must be approved by the Studio Owner of the dance studio the Title was won with.)
- Invitation to perform as a special guest at the 2018 Core Performer Challenge.
- The opportunity to be a Demonstrator at Radix regional cities during the 2017-2018 season. (This must be approved by the Studio Owner of the dance studio the Title was won with.) Dancer would be responsible for all travel, hotel, etc.
- Lifetime Workshop Scholarships to Radix. (Scholarships for the following season, 2017-2018, will only be honored if approved by the Studio Owner of the dance studio the Title was won with.)
- Senior Male &Female Core Performers will be invited to be a Demonstrator at a total of FOUR Radix cities during the 2017-2018 season, with hotel and travel paid by Radix Dance. The invited cities will be chosen by Radix.
The remaining TOP 10 winners receive:
- Tour scholarships for RADIX's 2017-2018 regional season. (This must be approved by the Studio Owner of the dance studio the award was won with.)
CORE PERFORMER FEES
All Core Performer Finalists have received free tuition to Radix Nationals Workshop. If a dancer chooses to compete for the National Core Performer Title, there is an additional fee of $275 (before May 16 deadline) or $375 (after the May 16 deadline).
The Core Performer fee includes a custom Core Performer goody-bag, personalized Core Performer Jacket, solo competition fee, participation in the audition class, Core Performer Challenge (if applicable), as well as any rehearsals and costumes. If a dancer chooses to not participate in the national Core Performer competition, they have the option of just purchasing a Core Performer jacket for an additional $75.
CORE PERFORMER FINALISTS
MINI, JUNIOR, TEEN & SENIOR Core Performers must be in Las Vegas for Orientation on Saturday, June 24th at 9am. (Date & Time subject to change)
All Core Performer Finalists (male and female) will be performing in the Gala on June 29th. These routines will be choreographed by the Radix faculty!
A rehearsal schedule for Core Performers will be given out during Orientations on June 24th. Costumes will also be distributed during the week, but each dancer will need to bring a few basic items.
- All Female Core Performers should bring the following:
- Black and nude dance shorts
- Black and nude bra/half top
- Black and tan jazz shoes (if possible)
- Heels (if possible - Teens and Seniors only!)
- All Male Core Performers should bring the following:
- Black dress pants
- Black and white button-down shirts
- Black and white t-shirts
- Black and white tanks
- Black dress socks
- Black belts
- Black and tan jazz shoes (if possible)
Anyone wishing to see The RADIX Gala on June 29th must have a ticket! All Core Performers (even if performing in the show) will not be allowed into the audience without a ticket.
CORE PERFORMER GUIDELINES
- To participate in the Core Performer Competition, you must be registered for entire RADIX Finals Workshop.
- Core Performer finalists do not need to have a registered teacher with them to compete in the Core Performer competition; however, they MUST get permission from the studio they qualified with at regionals. For example, a dancer is not able to qualify at regionals under "Miss Becky's School of Dance" and then register at Radix Nationals as "Independent". All Core Performer Finalists attending without a registered teacher must get the signature of their studio owner on the Core Performer registration form in order to compete.
- Independent dancers ARE allowed to participate in the Core Performer Competition, as long as they attended and qualified at a regional RADIX Dance Convention workshop as an Independent.
- If you have previously won a Core Performer title (not Runner-Up or TOP 10), you are not allowed to compete to be a Core Performer again until you are in the next age division up. National Core Performer Winners must also wait at least one year after winning before competing for a National Core Performer title again.
- It is STRONGLY encouraged that all dancers vying for a Core Performer title attend ALL of the workshop classes. Attendance will be taken in most of the workshop classes. If the faculty notices some dancers missing certain classes, those dancers may be penalized.
- All Core Performer Finalists must complete a copy of the Core Performer registration form. Please get your registration in early!
- All Core Performer Finalists are asked to provide a "head shot" photo for the souvenir program. This photo needs to be at least 2" x 2". Please write the dancer's name on the back of the photo if sending it by mail. You can also scan and email the photo to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE NOTE: Photos will not be returned. Also, all photos must be received by June 1st to be included in the souvenir program.
- PLEASE NOTE: Photos will not be returned. Also, all photos must be received by June 1st to be included in the souvenir program.
- Parents are not permitted to observe the audition classes - only registered Teachers and Studio Owners.
- Please remember, everyone will need a ticket to the show. Core Performers performing in the show will also need to purchase tickets if they would like to watch the show from the audience any time before or after they are on stage.
- If attending Radix Nationals with their studio, a Core Performer does not need to mail in a separate Core Performer registration form. Studios can submit all of their Core Performer information online at the same time that they complete their studio's registration.
- Radix Nationals will most likely sell out! Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- NEW RULE: If you win a National Core Performer title with your studio, you cannot switch studios or go "Independent" within a full year of winning title, or your Core Performer scholarship and tour privileges will be rescinded. Radix firmly believes in a dancer's studio training and convention and/or National Titles should never replace or in any way interrupt training at your dance studio.
- Core Performer Finalists can choose to perform in the Radix Gala without competing in the national Core Performer title competition, but they will still be responsible for the full Core Performer registration fee.
- Dancers participating in the Core Performer solo competition cannot compete the same solo in the Finals competition. Remember, to compete in the Finals Solo Competition you must also be registered to compete in at least one Group, Line, Extended Line, or Production. NO EXCEPTIONS.